Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 2 - Mag Sulfate Day

Dec 18th - Reality is starting to set in that I'm going to be on bedrest for the duration of this pregnancy.

The 2nd day in the hospital I was given the first of 2 steroid shots that would help develop the baby's lungs in case we delivered early. These were shots in my hip, given 24 hours apart, and weren't altogther too bad.

I was also put on Magnesium Sulfate via IV for 24 hours. This was to prevent contractions, and also helps wit the baby's development. No food while I was on this, and my urine output had to be monitored for the full 24 hours. My blood pressure was checked every hour, and the baby and my uters was montiroed the entire day. This stuff was supposed to make me feel pretty poopy, but I didn't find it too terrible at all.

Oh, and did I mention my position for these two days? I was in what they call Trandellenberg, whic is lying in a hospital bed with my feet elevated above my head. And I could not get out of bed for anything. Yes, that means using a bedpan, which went on for over 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment